Try this healthy and colourful acai bowl recipe with a kiwiberry topping. Acai berries (pronounced ah-sai-ee) and kiwiberries both pack a nutrient punch with a whole host of antioxidants, amino acids and essential fatty acids. Not only are these two superfoods incredibly good for you, but they are also delicious.
Serves: 1 large or 2 small
Using frozen fruit in the acai purée helps to achieve a thick consistency, but avoid adding ice as it can water down the flavours.
- 2 cups frozen berries (any combo)
- 1 fresh or frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons acai berry powder
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 serving protein powder, hemp seeds or nut butter – optional
- mix of fresh berries (kiwiberry, blueberry)
- chopped melon, passionfruit, pomegranate (any fruit)
- toasted coconut flakes
- chia seeds and/or hemp hearts
In a blender, place the berries, banana, acai powder, optional protein source and water/milk. Blend until smooth. Add extra water if needed (most likely you won’t need any).
Place in serving bowl and top with the suggested toppings or your favourite assortment.